Tea tree oil: benefits and everyday beauty uses
Whether you’re preparing for a big event or simply like taking care of yourself, hair care and skin care is an important part of your beauty routine. As we use make-up, hair spray and more, many of us look for easy, natural ways to ensure products and treatments won’t cause lasting damage.
Here you’ll find top ways to use tea tree oil for hair care and skin care and why it’s a good idea to have it as part of your daily regime.
What are the benefits of using tea tree oil for hair and skin care?
There are a number of properties which provide great benefits when using tea tree oil for hair and skin care including:
- Tea tree oil is a fantastic moisturizer. This means that it can prevent a build-up of excess oil on your scalp and skin, as well as soothing a dry and itchy skin and treating conditions such as seborrheic dermatitis.
- Tea tree oil has anti-fungal properties. Dandruff is a common and rather irritating condition that many of us face. As tea tree oil fights the fungus which causes dandruff it is the perfect natural product to use to treat dandruff.
- Tea tree oil is also anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial. This means that is can reduce redness and swelling in your skin and help to treat conditions like acne.
5 ways to use tea tree oil for hair and skin care
Here you’ll find five simple ways to use tea tree oil as a part of your everyday beauty routine.
- Mix tea tree oil into a carrier oil such as jojoba oil or coconut oil. Shake it to mix it well, then use it to massage your scalp several times a week to keep your scalp healthy and moisturized.
- Use tea tree oil for hair refreshing by putting 5 drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle with water. This can be sprayed onto your hair and left in.
- For treating dry or itchy skin, add a few drops of tea tree oil to your usual moisturizer and apply to any affected areas of your skin.
- Try adding 2 to 3 drops of tea tree oil to 2 ounces of witch hazel to create a homemade toner to use throughout the day to treat acne.
- Adding 1 drop of tea tree oil to wound ointment cream to speed up the healing process of cuts and help to prevent infections.
How to use tea tree oil for hair and skin care safely
Although tea tree oil is a great, natural product for caring for your hair and skin, there are a few precautions you should be aware of before you start:
- Always remember that tea tree oil should be mixed with a carrier oil or product.
- Examples of carrier oils include olive oil, coconut oil or almond oil.
- This should be done in a ratio of around 1 drop of tea tree oil to 12 drops of carrier oil.
- Make sure you’re careful when using tea tree oil around your eyes as it can cause irritation.
- Take care to try it on a small area of your skin first to ensure there are no adverse reactions.
With our easy guide to using tea tree oil for hair and skin care, you can be sure to keep your skin and hair in great condition, and ready for any occasion!