“Self-Awareness” – The Hidden Impact
When you hear the word “Self-Aware” what does it bring to mind?
In this blog being self-aware will refer to: “having a clear perception of your personality, including strengths, weakness, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions. Self awareness allows you to understand other people, how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them.”
Being self-aware, is a critical aspect to helping you become successful in every relationship you are involved with; career, family, friends, romantic relationships and interpersonal.
Self-awareness is also one of the key elements in Emotional Intelligence that can help create a successful life. The more you understand and are capable of controlling your emotions and thoughts; the easier it is to make changes you want.
To develop a stronger sense of self-awareness:
- Ask friends and family: Have your friends, family, peers and mentors give you honest feedback on how you come across to others in different situations. Make them feel safe enough to be honest and candid; because this helps you grow and become more in touch with whom you are.
- Personality tests: There are a number of personality tests that can give you more insight to who you are, Myers-Briggs is one of the most well known. One of the key parts of our practice is helping clients understand each personality type strengths and weaknesses; and how to effectively deal with contrasting personality types in the corporate arena/workplace.
- Meditate: Take time each day to relax in a meditative state, developing a deep sense of what you want to accomplish daily; self-reflection; healing and deep relaxation.
- Journaling: Daily journaling can provide more clarity and better gauge strengths and weakness you perceive in your daily life. This is a great way to help you track areas you want to improve upon.
- Observation: Start to pay attention to your environment and the people around you. The more you tune into the environment around you the easier it becomes to understand other’s emotions and the effect of your interactions with them.
Learning to increase your self -awareness gives you the ability to improve the quality of your life.